Have you ever wondered what makes some of the superfoods so super? Well, these foods are powerful enough to effectively reduce some of the most chronic ailments including heart diseases, various types of cancers, high cholesterol and blood pressure. Another added bonus of such foods is that they put you in a better mood. These are nutrient powerhouses packed full of vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and polyphenols and this makes them extremely vital for your brain, heart, liver and all other major organs. Here is a list of the top 10 superfoods that you must add to your daily intake of food.
1. Nuts and Seeds: They are super rich in minerals, fiber and vitamins. They are a wonderful way for you to lower the risk of getting any heart diseases. They also help to reduce the “bad cholesterol” levels. It is suggested to add 25g a day of almonds, walnuts, peanuts, cashews, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds in your diet.
2. Blueberries: Did you know that some experts call it “brainberries”? Well, as the name suggests, these help to protect the brain from oxidative stress and also lower the effects of age related issues such as dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. They offer you bountiful antioxidant support.
3. Avocados: This is a very delicious vegetable which is a rich source of healthy fats that help to reduce your cholesterol levels by 22% when consumed regularly. They also help to prevent various types of cancers and stroke. They also provide you with 40% of your daily requirement of folate seeds, that help to reduce the risk of developing heart diseases.
4. Beans: These superfoods are getting a lot of attention as a great carbohydrate to equate protein dishes, as they do not shoot the blood sugar levels in your body unlike other complex carbohydrates. Some essential beans that you must include in your diet include Black beans, Pinto beans, etc.
5. Spinach: Was Popeye really onto something? Well, it brings out that he was climbing up the right tree and you too must follow his footsteps. You must add spinach salad in your dinner or lunch as it helps with brain function, immunity, blood pressure and many other health benefits.
6. Apples: These superfoods are loaded with vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. The fiber present in it helps to reduce your cholesterol and blood levels while keeping your digestive system healthy. They also help you with weight management and long term diabetic issues. One apple a day provides 1/4th of your daily requirement of vitamin C.
7. Olive Oil: It is considered as one of the healthiest fats in the universe. The monosaturated fats present in it help to raise the “good cholesterol” levels in your body. They are also rich in antioxidants known as phenols that protect your artery walls from cholesterol accumulation.
8. Wholegrains: They are high in fiber and essential fatty acids. According to a study, people who regularly consume wholegrains as a part of their daily meal have 30% less chances of developing type 2 diabetes and heart diseases. They also help you with weight control.
9. Broccoli: This is considered as number 1 cancer fighter food. It is loaded with sulforaphane, a sulfur compound that boosts the production of enzymes that detoxify cancer causing compounds. It is also considered good for your bones and nervous system.
10. Salmon: They are a great source of vitamins, good quality protein, minerals and omega 3 fatty acids. Studies have proven that eating such fish tremendously lowers the risk of developing heart problems even in older people. They also help in reducing inflammation and blood clotting.
Longevity is all about enjoying protracted years of health and these 10 superfoods promise you healthy and long life.